Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Burlap Wreath

Hello Everybody! I recently visited a friend and was just blown away by her handmade burlap wreath! I couldn't wait to look up some tutorials and make one myself. I looked up a ton of tutorials and was just completely confused. But once I gave it a try I was shocked at how easy it was! It took less than an hour to make and for my first one I thought it turned out great!

 
To start with I got a metal wreath foam, a roll of burlap, and some tan pipe cleaners cut into thirds. I already had the pipe cleaners and the burlap and wreath were about $4.50 each at Michaels.
Once I had all of my supplies ready I simply rolled out and cut about a yard of burlap and starting above the first rod, weave in and out. Once you get to the bottom, you simply weave back the other way, pulling up the burlap and bunching it together to give it a full look, like I've shown in the picture below.
Every time you get to the end of your strand of burlap, you simply tie it off from behind with a piece of your pipe cleaner. You continue around the leaf, fluffing and bunching, until the entire form is covered.
Once you have your basic burlap wreath you're ready to decorate. A lot of the tutorials I saw suggested hot gluing your decorations directly to the burlap, but I really wanted to be able to remove and replace the decorations for each season, so I did mine a bit differently. To make your pieces removable in addition to your decorative pieces you will need floral wire, foam adhesive pads, and some type of craft glue or hot glue will work fine too. I was out of my craft glue so I used regular super glue. To start you simply cut a piece of floral wire that will be large enough to wrap around your wreath. Place the wire on the back of your flower decorative piece and on top of the wire, place a piece of the foam tape on top of the wire. I cut my tape so that it was smaller and not visible from the front side of the flowers. Then you want to remove the flower or piece from the foam and place a small amount of glue on top of where the foam and wire are connected, and then replace your flower. I initially thought the foam adhesive would be enough to hold my flowers in place, but it didn't stick as well as I'd liked. So my wire and foam were already on my wreath when I removed the flower and applied the glue. Once the glue dried my flowers held in place much better. I did the same thing with my letter. Now I can change out the decorations any time and still use the same wreath base, saves a lot more space than having a separate wreath for spring, summer, fall, and winter!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment