Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Beside the Fridge Storage





 

My apartment, as you may know, is small, tiny, miniscule, I’m talkin about 900 square feet. With such a small space and an overabundance of “stuff”, I need all the extra storage I can get. Not long ago I saw something on Pinterest about making your own storage to fit between your wall and your refrigerator. What a genius idea! I sat out to start the project, got some rough measurements and even sketched out a plan. But, that plan never went through. I just didn’t have the time. So one day while I was looking over some things we had posted on craigslist I was reminded of an old cd/dvd tower that we’d been trying to practically give away for weeks. And I realized that it was the perfect size for beside our fridge! And it was SO simple, it only took about an hour and a half, and that included the trip to Lowes. So here are the steps. Don’t worry, it’s super easy and it doesn’t have to be perfect!



What you’ll need:


    
DVD/CD tower (measure to make sure it will fit beside your fridge).

1 – 2 pieces of 8 inch trim (any kind will do, but be sure it has some thickness to the base so you’re able to screw it in without going through the wood).

½ inch long nails

4 Casters                   

Around 12 Brackets, depending on how many shelves you have

Drill

Small hand saw

Total Time: 1 ½ hours
                           
 




1.    Be sure to measure your cd/dvd tower to be sure it’s going to fit beside your refrigerator. Mine had a larger base at the bottom so I simply unscrewed and removed it and used one of the extra wooden pieces in its place.

2.   Screw in the casters into the bottom four corners as pictured.
 








3. Measure & cut trim – it should be the same length as the shelves on your tower.
 
 

     4. Use brackets to attach trim to the shelves of the tower.

IMPORTANT: Be sure when you start to screw the brackets into the trimming that you screw into the thicker portion of the trim, so the screws do not puncture the other side.








 If your tower is like mine and the shelves come out, then it’s much easier. Now, this is where you can kind of play around. I decided to attach the trim directly to the bottom of the shelves so that when I wanted to I could adjust the shelves and the trim would just move with it. However, if you’d rather have the trim up a bit higher then play around with the shelves and test out a couple of the products you know you’ll be storing on them. Adjust them to make sure they are correctly spaced if you’re planning on attaching the trim to the tower sides rather than the shelves. IMPORTANT: Be sure when you start to screw the brackets into the trimming that you screw into the thicker portion of the trim, so the screws do not puncture the other side.
Youre Done! Now, you can paint the tower or leave it as it is. My husband liked the zebra look of our with the black tower and the white trim so we decided to leave it for now. You can go as simple or as creative as youd like. You can paint and even wallpaper or modgepodge the back board if youd like. I left one of the shelves off of mine so I could store extra cereal.  Once I got it loaded down it fit great and gave me a ton of extra cabinet  

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment