Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

3 Ways to Make your Own K-Cups



Since I started staying at home we’ve been trying to cut down on expenses. One of the hardest things for us to give up was our k-cups. But let’s face it, they are pretty expensive compared to a regular canister of coffee. I can usually get a large canister of Folgers for the same price as a 12 pack of k-cups. Twelve k-cups last us less than a week, while the can of coffee lasts over a month. But the convenience of the k-cups is the thing we miss the most. After being up with a crying baby all night having to wait a good thirty minutes in the morning for a cup of coffee is torture. I’d get up with baby, feed her, then make a pot of coffee and wait for it to brew. With k-cups I can pop one in while I’m making her bottle and have my coffee and feed her too (now that’s called multitasking). So I found three ways to make my own k-cups that will let us enjoy the savings of regular coffee, with the convenience of single cup brewers.

The Aluminum Foil Method
Supplies: Aluminum foil, used k-cup, coffee
Start by removing the aluminum top of your used k-cup. Empty the coffee and clean out the inside. Leave the inner filter intact. Add coffee to the now empty k-cup, about 1 scoop. Take a small piece of aluminum foil and place it snugly around the top rim of the k-cup. There you go, it’s that easy. You may have to play around a bit to determine how much coffee you should add to get your perfect cup, but the cost savings will be well worth it. You can re-use the k-cup many times.



 

 
The Tea Bag Method

Supplies: Empty tea bag, coffee, stapler

There are a few ways to do this. The first time you try this method I’d suggest using a family size tea bag and emptying it of its contents. The regular size tea bags also work but come out a bit weak for my taste. If you decide this is the method for you then there are numerous tea bags available on Amazon for fairly cheap. Once you have your empty tea bag add your coffee, then fold open end of the tea bag so that the corners are facing the center as shown. Staple your tea bag shut. I ordered the Vakind disposabledrawstring tea bags, 100 for $6.95 which were a bit easier to use compared to stapling the top.



 

Reusable K-Cup Method

Supplies: Reusable k-cup, coffee, coffee filter
For this method I used one of those cheap re-usable handy k-cup filters. I wouldn’t recommend the one I use as it doesn’t fit many models and it leaves grounds in the coffee, hence why I added the actual coffee filter. Surprisingly, by adding the coffee filter the coffee turned out amazing on the first try.  You simply cut a regular coffee filter to fit and add it and your coffee . This is by far the easiest and most convenient method. If this is the way you’d like to go I’d strongly recommend the Ekobrew stainless steel refillable k-cup. It has amazing reviews and does not require the additional filter.




1 comment:

  1. I have a different refillable K-cup. It is 3 pieces, top, exterior, and a screen inner cup.. I get great results from it.

    ReplyDelete